Saturday, 2 January 2010

Seen out in public

From the Daily Mail earlier this week:

MAKE-UP FREE LUCY DAVIS LOOKS TIRED AND FED-UP AS SHE FLIES BACK HOME TO LOS ANGELES AFTER CHRISTMAS IN LONDON

A word of advice for any female celebrity getting off a long-haul flight - don't forget to apply your make-up first. Because you never know when the paparazzi are going to show up, as actress Lucy Davis found out to her detriment.

The Office star was snapped landing at Los Angeles International Airport yesterday looking somewhat rough after an 11-hour flight from London. And she didn't look too happy to be facing the flashbulbs dressed in unflattering casual clothes and sporting blotchy skin and bags under her eyes.

The only thing she had appeared to have applied to her face was a smudge of lip balm which was smeared haphazardly across her lips. Her look was massively in contrast to her actor husband Owain Yeoman's who looked fresh faced and dapper in a tailored grey coat, topped off by perfectly coiffeured hair.

Having read the above, I’m afraid I have a terrible confession to make. Over the Christmas period I was seen at London Euston and Liverpool Lime Street stations looking unshaven and wearing an ill-advised beanie hat. There was a tomato stain on my jumper after a leakage from a Marks and Spencer’s sandwich, and my jeans could also have done with a wash.

I had assumed that my appearance, albeit in a public place, was my own business – provided it was not so disgusting that it actually made passers-by want to gag. I now realise I was completely wrong in this assumption and would like to apologise unreservedly to the Daily Mail and anyone else I may have offended by my lax approach to personal grooming.

Mundane quote for the day: ‘Newspapers always excite curiosity. No one ever lays one down without a feeling of disappointment.’ – Charles Lamb

1 comment:

  1. This example isn't quite as good, though may just apply in terms of the pressures women are under to look ‘a certain way’ – ‘made-up’ in Lucy Davis case, and in mine, the pressure I was under at a talk once in Japan, when a British male colleague remarked ‘don’t you think you look a little too feminine’, I replied, ‘relax, it’s OK, I’m a woman’, though to be honest, if I was a man I might also have wanted to look feminine. So here’s to a year of doing our own thing, the press and colleagues be damned, for we shall be fresh-faced, ketchup smeared, and indeed feminine if we darn well please. Happy New Year, especially to the great unwashed.

    ReplyDelete