Tuesday, 17 March 2009

All my Googlegangers

Bloody hell. I’ve now discovered* that I’ve got my own Wikipedia entry, and I didn’t even write it myself – Scout’s honour. It's at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Moran_(social_historian).

The only snag is that there are two other Joe Morans on Wikipedia with whom I have to be (as the e-encyclopaedia inelegantly puts it) ‘disambiguated’ – Joe Moran the Irish hurler who plays corner-back for Cork and Carrigaline, and Joseph P. Moran, the doctor who treated famous gangsters in Depression-era America and who was a peripheral member of the Barker-Karpis gang. (All this information must be true – I got it off Wikipedia.) I think the latter Joe Moran was also the subject of a James Cagney film called The Terrible Joe Moran. I remember being teased about this at school whenever the film was on TV.

Of course, this barely scratches the surface of all the Joe Morans uncovered by a simple Google search. There is Joe Moran the head coach of the Villanova University Golf Team, and Joe Moran the famous West Country surfer once described by the Observer as ‘the Brad Pitt of the Cornish coast’. Sadly I am in no danger of being described as the Brad Pitt of the Cornish coast – or indeed any coast.

There is a term for people who share your name and who turn up on Google when you are egosurfing: Googlegangers (like virtual doppelgängers). Peace and love to all my Googlegangers, and here’s hoping for a clean fight in the not very cutthroat race to be the number one Joe Moran on Google. May the best Joe Moran win.

If you are Joe Moran, click here: http://www.isthisyour.name/joe_moran.htm

*‘Discovered’ perhaps sounds misleadingly serendipitous. I was Googling my own name as usual. Must stop doing that.

Mundane quote for the day: ‘Days were the units which mattered most, being divided from each other by the astounding phenomenon of losing and regaining consciousness (How brave, how trustful people are, to dare to go to sleep!)’ - Jan Struther, Mrs Miniver

1 comment:

  1. I imagine that there may be only one thing worse than being disambiguated, and that is being ambiguated. Congrats on your wiki status.

    ReplyDelete